The History 

 The dark mould of the park whose cypress path points at the sky is still there: it detaches itself from the dark green of the cypress garden…

Nicchia Furian Raffo.  da “Diario nel Chianti”   

The toponym’s first trace goes up to the 998 A.C. when Vegi and its lands were donated by the Marquis Ugo di Tuscia to the Badia di Poggio Marturi. On its origin it has not been possible to find definite information, it maybe that it derives from the large vegetation of the area. In 1178 Vegi is very close to the border line between the territory of Siena and Firenze. In XIII century Vegi and its lands belong to the Squarcialupis, lords of the nearby Monternano Castle. In those times in Vegi there was a sighting tower, turned later in a farm house, and a shooting lodge which belonged to the Squarcialupis. The shooting lodge will turn out to be the main body around which all the extension works will transform it into today’s shape of the Villa of Vegi; it’s for this reason that architectural wise the shape of the Villa is quite an original one, if compared to the rest of Chianti, and there no other similar one in the area. There is a legend that tells us that the Squarcialupis betrayed Firenze to ally themselves with Siena. This seems to be the reason why when in 1220 the troops of the fleur-de-lis army invaded the area, besieged an destroyed the Castle of Montarnano, whse ruins are still visible from Vegi. In 1452 the lands of Vegi were occupied by the Aragona’s army. From XV to XVII century the Vogi’s estate belonged to the Ugolinis, later on called Ugolini Milanesi. The Chiostri family, which belonged to the small Tuscan nobility of Montevarchi, purchases Vegi and its lands in 1850 from the Ugolini Milanesi heirs. Giovanni Chiostri extends and renovates the Farm which, in those times, was a sharecropping farm of 355 hectares with 17 small farms. The inheritance, that used to follow the male line, goes to te two brothers Silvio and Ettore, while the third brother, Alfonso, gets the magnificent Villa di Spoiano, in between Tavarnelle Val di Pesa and Barberino Val d’Elsa. Ettore will never get married to avoid dividing the inheritance and Silvio will leave all his properties to Francesco, father of today’s owners, Ida, Sabina and Silvio. During the Second World War, Vegi has been occupied by the Germans and then by the Americans. Those years can be traced in some of the most beautiful books of the writer Niccchia Furian Raffo, daughter of Francesco Chiostri’s sister (“Diario del Chianti”,. “Gente del Chianti”, “Guerra del Chianti”.

Copyright © Dandelion by Pexeto